Monday 9 June 2008

Reflections on recent events part two- Assessment

in an attempt to try to achieve clarity of vision to take me forward into the new and final MA term, i need to reflect more fully on the assessment and not get racing away into the world of sheds without a solid structure set for me to follow. in the assessment i overall did much better for my studio practice this term than the research paper- which i am not too worried about as my practice last term was of most importance to me in defining myself- laying foundations, experimenting, asking questions, revising methods, re-lauching them in new ways.

whilst i am still reading around my subject, i will need to come back more fully to the critical studies, shape up my central research question more clearly through tutorials and presentations this week.i have studied examples of structure, style, research question to gain a sense of more fully how the debate can be laid out and argued over 5000 words. i know i need to move my writing beyond the survey into the critical and work out whats the most important of temporality, photography, intimacy, participation- do i need to be selective or can i continue as i started in the diploma research paper across these 4 areas but cement them more critically or think back to the certificate stage research paper which was focused purely on photography? anyway, more to come on this.

studio practice- the feedback was very positive for the level of experimentation, progression of ideas, reflective understanding of historical and contemporary framework, presentation of work and planning, and the lower area was critical self-reflection (includes ambition.) have realised in writing this i need to establish what is meant here by ambition in terms of my work or whether this is more about the need for self-reflection as i feel i am very ambitious- possible too so! the comments centred on the need for me to now tease out the areas of high importance, why i make the choices i do, and their relationship to the spectator- through analysing the body of work i have now created.

so....in looking back at my blog posts i have realised that the pace of my projects has meant i haven't really analysed them enough myself before swiftly moving on (partly due to event dates not set by myself, there was only 4 weeks and an assessment between the space-in-between and the EEC i might add, but also my constant thirst for the where next? ) and need to do this to consolidate my thinking and identify key areas of interest. that being said, i like layering my work with many facets of temporality but need to address this in terms of the participatory experience- what's in it for others- why bother taking part?

so...now need to take stock more of each of the 3 projects- nunnery, space-in-between and EEC....


No comments: