Friday 22 February 2008

developing performance confidence through storytelling- CSM stand up comedy course

ok, so big jump into the unknown here, is this the right direction? got to work on presenting myself somehow that is less traditional 'actor', finding a way to develop a performance identity, gaining confidence, so am starting a stand up comedy course in april as an evening class (doug once suggested for me to look at stand up/cabaret after telling my story of my give me a new look piece and think i might now put a toe in the water to find out if its got legs for helping my practice).....kinda thinking quirky visual props, slides, using participants objects/material, telling stories, (maybe inspired by other's slides like in my super heros those trachtenberg slideshow players but working with ideas of fractured stories, spontaneity, intimacy) possibly thinking to the future not as a stand up (!) but as tools and techniques to filter alongside inspirational ideas from the uninvited guests into my own MA practice. the fact that you have to do a show in a central london club seems pretty out there......we'll see

3 comments:

Mz. Noodle said...

hm. unexpected direction, and was having a tough time picturing it.

But then I got an image of you in your outfit from the group show talking really fast, bombarding the audience in a comedy club/cabaret with THINGS, STUFF, ACTIVITIES. Totally over-the-top hyper-real school teacher character.

I'm also wondering if you have heard about these "Peachy Coochy" nights at arts admin. Sounds like something of a send up of pecha kucha (Japanese creative show and tell meet ups) where people have 20 seconds to describe 20 photos. Not clear if it invited guests who do this or anyone from the audience. But it sounds fun. And up your alley.

Mz. Noodle said...

oh, and I too, realize I'm in need of performance confidence. 3+ days at the Nunnery will either bring me closer to it, or completely undo me. (actually it will probably be a mixture, no?)

harriet said...

i think i'm having a tough time picturing it!! but what the heck, eh. always up for new stuff.no really, have got lots of ideas including minature dolls..vintage slides...er or something! i need to try out much more being in performance mode- am not launching a career as a stand up just looking for mechanisms, devices, using humour, we'll see! yes, over the top hyper real..maybe less of the school teacher unless super tongue in cheek hehe...hyper harry stand up [*help*]...